Tuesday 12 March 2013

The Power of Du'a

In the name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.

Allah (swt) says in the Qur'an: “And when My servants ask you, [O Muhammad], concerning Me—indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of every supplicant when he calls upon Me […]” (Qur’an 2:186)

Allah will response to every supplicant.

This is a promise.

It indicates that du'a is the most powerful weapon for every Muslim who believe in Allah more than anything else.

How to make our du'a stronger?

1. To ask Allah by his names and attributes.

So we can say “Ya Allah (Oh Allah), Ya Rahman, Ya Hakeem (Oh merciful one, Oh wise one) and then make our du’a.

We can also see this in our daily lives, if we address someone by his title or role then we will get a better response, for example instead of “Dear Leader, please help us” we could say “Dear Leader, you are the one who is the defender of this nation and its values, please help us”.

2. To ask someone more pious than us.

We can go to a Muslim whom we feel is a good person and closer to Allah than us. For example if someone was a weak Muslim and would do things which were wrong he could ask someone to make du’a for him. In our own daily lives we see that a person in authority would respond to the request of someone they were closer to, than us.

3. To mention your good deeds.

In our du’a we can say things such as “Oh Allah, I pray regularly, please accept my du’a.” or “Oh lord, by my fasting in Ramadan, accept my du’a”. Whether it be praying, fasting, even smiling at someone (which counts as a good deed in Islam), helping an old lady across the road and so on, the mention of a good deed makes our du’a far stronger, as it would do in our daily lives.

Remember the Hadith of the three men in the cave, who made du‘ā’ and mentioned their deeds (preferring parents over rest of family; fearing Allāh and abstaining from zina; giving the labourer his invested wages)?


O Allah, with Your Greatness and Mercy, show me the right path. Help me to begin this journey in my life. Remind me to have a good intention before start this journey.

O Allah, we seek virtue and piety from You on this journey of ours, and the act which pleases You. O Allah, lighten this journey of ours, and roll up for us the distance thereof. O Allah, You are (our) companion during the journey, and guardian of (our) family. O Allah, I seek refuge in You from the hardship of this journey, from beholding a miserable sight and of evil chances in my wealth, household and my children.

O Allah, give me success, uprightness, and ease! There is no ease except in that which You have made easy, and You make the difficulty, if You wish, easy.


**I believe that last alphabet in PhD stands for Du'a, not at the end of journey, but for every second in this long journey.


1 comment: