Friday 22 March 2013

Book: The ABC's of PhD


I bought this book from the author himself when he gave a lecture to Academic Staff at USIM regarding to academic journal. It was very interesting sharing and I learned a lot of things. Since I am the youngest (agaknya lah!), I have no experience on publishing articles in high impact journal and I have to know about all of this staff because it affects the performance of all academicians.

A simple book review:

The author used a very simple language on how to start a journey of PhD students. You can feel like you actually are listening to them not just reading the content of the book. The book comprises of 14 chapters. There are tips and guidelines on how to start writing the PhD proposal, how to select supervisor, how to search funding assistance and also brief description on PhD process.

Although the price is a bit expensive (RM48), the paper used is high quality and there are pictures to avoid readers feel bored while reading. Not forget to list some recommended websites at the references. And I love all quotations in the beginning of each chapter!.

Oh ya, I do have some thought after completed my reading. Why ABC? I'm sure that all PhD holders said that PhD is not as easy as ABC, and they will never do second PhD in their life. From my humble opinion, perhaps, all PhD candidates should think positive before and especially during doctorate moment just like when they learn ABC during kindergarten.
 

2 comments:

  1. where else can I go to buy this book sis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you can at UPM bookshops because the publisher of this book is UPM, or try find at MPH and Kinokuniya websites. Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete